Index  ›  crime  ›  Evening Standard

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor set for royal ceremonial funeral despite loss of titles

Evening Standard Published Aug 9, 2026 Reviewed Aug 18, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Jeffrey Epstein was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008.
2008 · Jeffrey Epstein
Jeffrey Epstein died in a New York prison in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
2019 · Jeffrey Epstein
The Queen Mother received a ceremonial royal funeral in 2002.
2002 · Queen Mother
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, received a ceremonial royal funeral in 2021.
2021 · Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh
St George's Chapel in Windsor is a 14th-century building that serves as a venue for royal baptisms and weddings.
14 · St George's Chapel
The wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex took place in 2018.
2018 · Duke and Duchess of Sussex
King Edward VIII abdicated in 1936.
1936 · King Edward VIII
US lawyer Gloria Allred has represented 27 of Jeffrey Epstein's victims.
27 · US lawyer Gloria Allred
US lawyer Spencer Kuvin has represented nine of Jeffrey Epstein's victims.
9 · US lawyer Spencer Kuvin

The former Duke of York remains on government contingency plans for a ceremonial farewell even after being stripped of royal roles over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is set to receive a ceremonial royal funeral under long-standing government plans, even though he was stripped of his titles last year.

The former Duke of York is included in the Government's so-called 'bridge' plans, which prepare for the deaths of members of the Royal Family long in advance, according to the Mail on Sunday.

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor remains on the list for a ceremonial farewell despite being stripped of his royal titles in November last year and becoming a private citizen following escalating pressure over his historical links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008, died in a New York prison in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing in connection with his past relationship with Epstein.

Notable examples of ceremonial royal funerals include those held for the Queen Mother in 2002 and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, in 2021.

Details of the arrangements for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's funeral remain unknown.

However, royal experts have speculated that the service could be held at St George's Chapel in Windsor, where Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip's funerals took place.

The 14th-century chapel also serves as a venue for royal baptisms and weddings, including the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018.

Royal experts have also suggested that Mr Mountbatten-Windsor could be buried at the Royal Burial Ground at Frogmore, a private cemetery in Home Park, Windsor.

Other controversial royal figures are buried there, including King Edward VIII, who abdicated in 1936 to marry his wife Wallis Simpson, who is also buried there.

Critics have described the plans revealed by the Mail on Sunday as an "embarrassment".

US lawyer Gloria Allred, who has represented 27 of Epstein's victims said: "Andrew has brought disgrace upon the Royal Family and the UK as a result of his involvement with Jeffrey Epstein.

"Under these circumstances, the question arises as to why this man should be afforded the honour of a royal funeral. What kind of message would such a ceremony send to Epstein's victims?

"Additionally, why should UK taxpayers bear the burden of paying his expenses either in life or after his death?"

US lawyer Spencer Kuvin, who represented nine of Epstein's victims, said: "Taxpayers should not ever be funding a funeral for a private individual.

"No public money should be used to benefit him during death. It's an embarrassment to the Crown."

Norman Baker, a former government minister and expert in royal finances, said: "This must be an oversight. Mr Mountbatten-Windsor is a commoner and should in no way be getting any sort of royal funeral."

Buckingham Palace, the Cabinet Office and representatives for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor have been contacted for comment.

This article was originally published by Evening Standard ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error