Index  ›  business  ›  BBC
business · BBC ↗

Bicester Motion submits proposals for £1bn masterplan

BBC Published Aug 17, 2026 Reviewed Aug 18, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Bicester Motion submits proposals for £1bn masterplan
Bicester Motion said its plans submitted to Cherwell District Council included about 200 low‑rise, low‑density apartments.
200 apartments · low‑rise, low‑density apartments Bicester Motion
Bicester Motion said the wider proposals would boost the UK economy by £1.19bn each year and create about 5,600 construction jobs, plus an estimated 7,600 operational jobs.
1.19 bn · UK economy5600 jobs · construction jobs7600 jobs · operational jobs Bicester Motion
Bicester Motion said the four outline planning applications would comprise approximately 1,440,000 sq ft of new commercial floor space.
1440000 sq ft · new commercial floor space Bicester Motion
Martyn Sadler (38) and Jennie Logan (30) were killed in the blaze that engulfed Bicester Motion on 15 May 2025.
2 deaths · killed in blaze Article

A business park has submitted initial proposals as part of its 10-year masterplan for the site.

Bicester Motion said plans submitted to Cherwell District Council had included commercial, demonstration, hospitality and customer engagement space, "flexible" employment space and about 200 "low-rise, low-density apartments".

It said a fourth planning application for research, development and scale-up space was being finalised.

The plans come 15 months after a hangar at the same business park was destroyed in a fire that killed three people.

Bicester Motion said it expected the wider proposals, if approved, to boost the UK economy by £1.19bn each year and would create about 5,600 construction jobs, plus an estimated 7,600 jobs in the operational phases.

It said collectively, the four outline planning applications would comprise approximately 1,440,000 sq ft (133,780 sq m) of new commercial floor space, alongside the new apartments.

The former RAF base contains multiple historic buildings, which are being slowly converted into useable workshops and business spaces.

There are already about 50 businesses at the site in Buckingham Road, including automotive, motorsport and aviation specialists.

Updated plans for a "motorsport inspired" driving track at the business park were also included in the new proposals.

Plans for the quarter, now named "The Rushes", describe how a section of Bicester Motion could be used to "showcase" the products and technology, with its perimeter track given a new use as a "vehicle circuit".

The proposal states: "The Rushes is designed as a vibrant, customer-facing destination where mobility and technology brands can showcase their products and innovations.

"Positioned alongside the experience tracks, it will allow visitors to engage directly with new mobility technologies through demonstrations, experiences and interactive activities."

Daniel Geoghegan, chief executive officer of Bicester Motion, said: "The submission of these first phase outline planning applications marks an important milestone in the continued evolution of Bicester Motion."

He said the feedback they received through the consultation "helped shape these proposals and will continue to inform future phases".

He added: "Over the past decade we have carefully restored Bicester's remarkable former RAF base while creating a thriving community of innovators, engineers and pioneering businesses."

Firefighters Martyn Sadler, 38, and Jennie Logan, 30, were both killed in the blaze that engulfed Bicester Motion on 15 May 2025, along with father-of-two Dave Chester.

Last month Thames Valley Police said it had concluded its investigation into the fire, with no referrals made to the Crown Prosecution Service for charging decisions.

This article was originally published by BBC ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error