Index  ›  health  ›  NY Post
health · NY Post ↗

Congo to receive 70K doses of Ebola vaccine to fight fastest outbreak in history

NY Post Published Aug 20, 2026 Reviewed Aug 21, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Congo to receive 70K doses of Ebola vaccine to fight fastest outbreak in history
Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine.
70000 doses · Ervebo vaccine WHO and partners, statement
The outbreak has killed 2,476 people out of 5,208 confirmed cases.
2476 people · outbreak5208 cases · outbreak WHO, statement
The allocation includes 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial.
20000 doses · Phase 3 clinical trial WHO, statement
The remaining 50,000 doses will be used for front-line and health workers.
50000 doses · front-line and health workers WHO, statement
The outbreak is spreading about three times faster compared to the 2014-2016 outbreak.
3 times · outbreak speed
The case fatality rate so far is 47.5%.
47.5 % · case fatality rate
In North Kivu province, the fatality rate is up to 70%.
70 % · fatality rate in North Kivu
Experts believe the virus began spreading from the mining town of Mongbwalu as early as February.
experts, statement

See more of our coverage in your search results.

BUNIA, Congo — Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, which has been effective in past Ebola outbreaks, the World Health Organization and partners said Thursday, announcing a step seen as a major boost to efforts to contain what officials have described as the fastest Ebola outbreak in history.

The Ervebo vaccine is licensed for use against Ebola virus, one of the viruses that cause Ebola disease, but not for Bundibugyo virus, which is responsible for the current outbreak, which has so far killed 2,476 people out of the 5,208 confirmed cases

WHO said in a statement that while it’s not known whether Ervebo may protect against the Bundibugyo virus, “early laboratory and animal data suggest it may provide some protection.”

The allocation includes 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus, the agency said.

The remaining 50,000 doses will be used for front-line and health workers as recommended by WHO experts.

The outbreak raging in six provinces in eastern Congo has infected and killed more people at a greater speed than any other Ebola outbreak in history, and is spreading about three times faster compared to the 2014-2016 outbreak across West Africa — the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record with more than 11,000 deaths.

The International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision, which includes WHO and other partners, said the doses will be released immediately following a request from Congo’s government.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called the approval “an important example of global solidarity in action.”

He said the agency and its partners remain committed to supporting strengthened surveillance, rapid detection, quality care, community engagement and vaccination efforts to bring the outbreak under control.

The lack of approved vaccines or treatments for the rare Bundibugyo virus has been a major issue for responders.

Most new cases have been reported outside of the people being monitored, showing the virus continues to spread faster than efforts to track it.

Morning Report delivers the latest news, videos, photos and more.

That has been a key contributor to the recorded deaths.

The case fatality rate so far is 47.5%, although it is far worse in some places where response efforts are more challenging, such as in North Kivu province, where the fatality rate is up to 70%.

Experts believe the virus began spreading from the mining town of Mongbwalu as early as February, months before authorities declared the outbreak on May 15.

This article was originally published by NY Post ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error