Index  ›  world  ›  NY Post
world · NY Post ↗

Dodgers put Edwin Diaz back on injured list, but expect him to return this season

NY Post Published Aug 18, 2026 Reviewed Aug 19, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Dodgers put Edwin Diaz back on injured list, but expect him to return this season
Edwin Díaz has been sidelined with an injury for the second time this year.
2 · injuries to Edwin Díaz Dave Roberts, manager
Edwin Díaz signed a $69 million contract with the Dodgers in the offseason.
69 million dollars · Edwin Díaz Dave Roberts, manager
Edwin Díaz has posted an 11.85 earned run average and converted only seven of eleven save opportunities this season.
11.85 ERA · ERA of Edwin Díaz7 · save opportunities converted by Edwin Díaz Dave Roberts, manager
Edwin Díaz allowed 11 runs in 7 2/3 innings since being activated from the injured list.
11 · runs allowed by Edwin Díaz7.6667 innings · innings pitched by Edwin Díaz
In his Monday appearance, Edwin Díaz allowed three runs on four hits and a hit batter while his fastball velocity dropped to 93 mph.
3 · runs allowed by Edwin Díaz4 · hits allowed by Edwin Díaz93 mph · fastball velocity of Edwin Díaz
Edwin Díaz missed three months over the summer due to loose bodies in his elbows, which required surgery in late April.
3 months · months missed by Edwin Díaz
Tanner Scott has collected 16 saves for the Dodgers this year.
16 · saves by Tanner Scott

See more of our coverage in your search results.

DENVER –– The Dodgers are placing closer Edwin Díaz on the injured list. Again.

A day after giving up three runs during ninth-inning mop-up duty in the Dodgers’ 11-5 win over the Colorado Rockies, Díaz was being placed back on the injured list on Tuesday with neck inflammation, manager Dave Roberts announced, marking the second time this year the All-Star right-hander will be sidelined with an injury.

“It’s something that he felt last night,” Roberts said. “We don’t know if it’s something that has been there the last week or whatever. But it showed its head last night, so we’re gonna address it.”

The good news, at least initially: Díaz is expected to return this year, according to Roberts.

“Given where he’s at,” the manager said, “I don’t see a situation where he’d be out for the year.”

While a more exact timeline or prognosis won’t be known until at least Wednesday, when Díaz is scheduled to return to Los Angeles for a medical evaluation with spine specialist Dr. Robert Watkins, Roberts said the team’s hope is that this IL stint will allow the $69 million offseason signing to identity the root cause for his struggles so far this season, in which he has posted an 11.85 ERA and converted only 7 of 11 save opportunities.

“I don’t know if it’s [that we’re] encouraged,” Roberts said. “But just that there could be a reason why the stuff is not playing like it has in the past … I’m personally excited to kind of find something that makes us understand what’s going on.”

Díaz had only recently rejoined the Dodgers after missing three months over the summer because of loose bodies in his elbows, a problem that necessitated a surgical procedure in late April.

While Díaz had repeatedly said his elbow felt better since returning, his performances continued to disappoint, with the 32-year-old allowing 11 runs in just 7 2/3 innings since being activated from the IL.

That culminated in Monday’s disastrous appearance, when Díaz allowed three runs on four hits (plus a hit batter) while bottoming out with his fastball at 93 mph (well below his usualy 96-98 mph range).

After the game, Díaz reported discomfort in the right side of his neck. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, he will also have the area around his trap and lat muscles evaluated to rule out any further issues.

Roberts said Wednesday’s visit with Dr. Watkins will include medical imagining.

“We’ll know more after,” Roberts reitatered.

In the meantime, the Dodgers will slide Tanner Scott into the closer’s role, and recalled right-hander Emmet Sheehan from Triple-A Oklahoma City in a corresponding move.

In a best-case scenario, Díaz would not only return to the Dodgers before the end of the season, but perhaps also find a level of consistent performance that has evaded him all year.

In the wake of Tuesday’s news, there was a suspicion around the club that the combination of Díaz’s elbow and neck injuries had contributed to a drop in his arm slot this season –– one the team had recently identified as a likely factor in his struggles.

The Dodgers could certainly use an improved version of Díaz, as well, lacking many other healthy, trustworthy right-handed arms in their bullpen at the moment.

If Díaz doesn’t return, of course, the Dodgers do have alternative closing options.

Scott has collected 16 saves this year, many of them during Díaz’s earlier absence following elbow surgery. An excess starting pitcher like Roki Sasaki could also take over ninth-inning duties, a role the Japanese phenom excelled in during last year’s playoff run.

For now, all options will be on the table as the Dodgers wait to find out the severity of Díaz’s latest injury.

This article was originally published by NY Post ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error