Index  ›  business  ›  Express
business · Express ↗

Donald Trump makes bombshell statement after phone call with Andy Burnham

Express Published Aug 17, 2026 Reviewed Aug 18, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Donald Trump makes bombshell statement after phone call with Andy Burnham
The oil and gas industry is urging the UK government to approve two controversial North Sea projects.
2 · North Sea projects

US President Donald Trump has issued an update after a phone call with Andy Burnham. Mr Trump said he had a "good conversation" with the Prime Minister and said he expects the Labour leader to approve new drilling in the North Sea.

"That will make the UK pretty rich, I'll tell you," Mr Trump said to reporters in the Oval Office. He said the UK has an "energy problem" but approving new projects would "solve" this. The President said that would be "a big thing", before adding: "That would make [the] UK rich. If you open up the North Sea, it's one of the great finds anywhere in the world."

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy

It is unclear whether Mr Trump, who returned to the White House last year with a pledge to "drill, baby, drill", was referring to a new conversation or not.

The leaders spoke over the phone on Mr Burnham's first day as PM last month.

Mr Trump said Mr Burnham had told him he would "open up the North Sea" in the call.

'If they open up the North Sea the UK will be rich again'

Donald Trump says he has had a 'good conversation' with Prime Minister Andy Burnham.

He says he thinks the PM will open up the North Sea, adding he will have 'solved' the UK's 'energy problem' if he does. pic.twitter.com/dwK9aClOVg

However, Mr Burnham said he told the American President he would take a "pragmatic approach" to oil and gas drilling.

Mr Trump's latest comments come as the oil and gas industry urges the Government to approve two controversial North Sea projects.

Reports suggest Mr Burnham is leaning towards approving the Jackdaw development.

The decision to go ahead with the gas field, east of Aberdeen, and the Rosebank oil field, north-west of Shetland, is now in the hands of ministers after consultations on the projects closed.

Supporters have argued the projects would have major economic benefits, protect jobs and slash energy bills.

While environmental activists are concerned of the impact the new fossil fuel extraction would have on climate change.

On Monday, a spokesperson for the UK Department of Energy Security and Net Zero said: “The North Sea remains a vital national asset, supporting jobs, growth and the UK’s energy security.

“We are clear that oil and gas will continue to play an important role in our energy system for decades to come, alongside transitioning to clean power to protect jobs and tackle the climate crisis.”

This article was originally published by Express ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error