Index  ›  world  ›  BBC
world · BBC ↗

Drivers ignoring road closures near New Forest wildfire

BBC Published Aug 17, 2026 Reviewed Aug 18, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Drivers ignoring road closures near New Forest wildfire
The A31 was closed on 9 August because of the wildfire.
The wildfire grew to the size of about 230 football pitches.
about 230 football pitches · wildfire
The wildfire is about two miles from Linwood at Bratley Wood.
about 2 miles · wildfire
Ringwood, Fordingbridge, Salisbury and Lyndhurst have all experienced slow-moving traffic for more than eight days.
more than 8 days · Ringwood, Fordingbridge, Salisbury and Lyndhurst
Sam was caught in a traffic jam at Linwood that lasted four hours.
4 hours · Sam Sam

Drivers have been ignoring road closures put in place because of the New Forest wildfire despite repeated warnings they could be putting lives at risk.

People in Linwood told the BBC that the single lane road passing through their small hamlet quickly becomes gridlocked and fear it could stop emergency services from getting access.

It comes after Hampshire County Council urged motorists to ignore navigation apps, which have sometimes been directing users onto roads unsuitable for heavy traffic.

There have been long tailbacks through the national park since the A31 was closed on 9 August because of the fire, which grew to the size of about 230 football pitches after starting in a van.

Erik Yngvesson lives in Linwood, which is about two miles from the fire at Bratley Wood, and said it had been a difficult situation since the the dual carriageway through the New Forest shut.

"In the beginning, it was horrific with people trying to use this tiny little road instead of the A31," he said.

"All that traffic on that tiny road - it was just a gridlock from start to finish."

He said that the majority of people had turned around but some were still ignoring the closures.

Hampshire County Council, Forestry England and the fire service have repeatedly shared warnings not to breach the road closures, with warnings that it could be dangerous to both people and the New Forest's free-roaming animals.

The diversion has caused gridlock in and around the routes across the New Forest, but has also had a knock-on effect to a much wider area.

Ringwood, Fordingbridge, Salisbury and Lyndhurst have all experienced slow-moving traffic for more than eight days, during what is normally the busiest period of the summer tourist season.

Clive and Sam were making their way from Weymouth in Dorset to London but were caught in a traffic jam at Linwood.

"It's been a nightmare," Sam told the BBC.

"Horrendous. Constant diversions. We've literally been on the road for four hours now.

"We keep going round in circles - it's honestly horrendous, absolutely horrendous, we just don't know what to do."

Hampshire County Council has been contacted for comment.

You can follow BBC Hampshire & Isle of Wight on Facebook, external, X (Twitter), external, or Instagram, external.

This article was originally published by BBC ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error