Eight rapes reported in 20 days at popular Brit holiday destination
A Greek official has warned travellers heading to a popular holiday destination after a spate of sexual assaults on women. Eight women have been raped in Zante in 20 days, with most of the attacks linked to popular nightlife areas on the island.
Michalis Giannakos, president of public healthcare workers’ union POEDIN said that eight females had sought medical attention on the island after being attacked and sexually assaulted. He said: “It is abhorrent and humiliating what is happening to the women, with individuals taking advantage of the state of intoxication in which they may be.” According to Giannakos an Italian tourist was raped in recent days leaving her with injuries that required specialised medical treatment.
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy
Giannakos said tourists account for most of the 200 people seeking treatment at the Zakynthos hospital every day during the summer tourist season.
He claimed hospital staff treated eight rape victims in the space of just three weeks.
He added that police were notified and the women were examined by gynaecologists, but no charges followed because the victims did not make formal complaints or identify their alleged attackers, according to local media.
Authorities on the island defended their response to reports of rape after the criticism, insisting that all procedures had been followed.
A statement from police said: “During the period from May to August 6, three incidents have been reported to our competent service, for which all procedures provided for by law were immediately followed, in cooperation with the prosecutor’s office, forensic and health authorities, and two arrests have been made.”
They added: “We are dedicated to investigating every report, protecting victims and reliably informing public opinion, solely based on official and confirmed data.”
The comments come after two 18 year old British women accused a man on the island of rape, who has subsequently been arrested.
Sexual violence offences recorded in Greece have surged over the past 14 years, rising from 511 cases in 2010 to 1,250 in 2024, according to the latest Eurostat figures.
The increase of around 145% is among the sharpest recorded across the European Union over the same period.
