Index  ›  world  ›  BBC
world · BBC ↗

Elton John performs in Morocco despite protest

BBC Published May 27, 2010 Reviewed Jul 3, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Elton John performs in Morocco despite protest
The Mawazine festival is under the patronage of Morocco's King Mohammed VI.
More than 40,000 people attended the free concert at the Mawazine festival in Rabat, according to the festival's artistic director.
more than 40000 people · attendees Aziz Daki, festival's artistic director
Sir Elton John is 63 years old.
63 years · age
The Mawazine festival, under the patronage of King Mohammed VI, has featured artists including Julio Iglesias, BB King, and Carlos Santana.
3 artists · named international artists featured
Earlier this year, Sir Elton John claimed Jesus was a 'super-intelligent gay man' in a US magazine interview.
Sir Elton John
Others estimated the crowd at the Mawazine festival concert to be closer to 15,000, according to reports.
about 15000 people · attendees
Tentative plans for Sir Elton John to perform in Egypt were reportedly shelved earlier this month.

Sir Elton John has performed at a music festival in Morocco in the face of calls for his appearance to be banned.

"I thank Morocco, the royal palace and the festival for inviting me," the British star said on Wednesday. "I am proud to be singing in Morocco."

Islamist groups had tried to prevent John's appearance, claiming the openly gay singer would offend public morals.

But organisers of the Mawazine festival in Rabat defended his invitation in the interests of "cultural tolerance".

Aziz Daki, the festival's artistic director, claimed more than 40,000 people had attended the free concert.

According to reports, though, others estimated the crowd to be closer to 15,000.

Members of Morocco's Islamist Justice and Development Party had tried to have the event called off on the grounds that it would pose "a risk of encouraging homosexuality".

But Mr Daki said to do so would "undermine the respect of privacy" and "breach certain values that the international Mawazine festival is based on".

The festival - which is under the patronage of Morocco's King Mohammed VI - has featured artists from around the world, among them Julio Iglesias, BB King and Carlos Santana.

Security was heightened at Wednesday's event, but in the end no disruption was reported.

The 63-year-old singer made headlines earlier this year when he claimed Jesus was a "super-intelligent gay man" in an interview with a US magazine.

Tentative plans for Sir Elton to perform in Egypt were reportedly shelved earlier this month.

This article was originally published by BBC ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error