Index  ›  sport  ›  NY Post
sport · NY Post ↗

Enes Kanter turns trans WNBA protest into $1.35 million recruiting pitch

NY Post Published Aug 19, 2026 Reviewed Aug 20, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Enes Kanter turns trans WNBA protest into $1.35 million recruiting pitch
Enes Kanter Freedom has spoken to eight players about entering the 2027 WNBA Draft if the league does not change or further clarify its eligibility standards.
8 players · players Enes Kanter Freedom, former NBA center
The NBA G League pays players $45,000 a year, while the WNBA top players earn $1.4 million.
45000 dollars · NBA G League players1400000 dollars · WNBA top players Enes Kanter Freedom, former NBA center
Those men could earn an extra $1,355,000 a year by just identifying as women.
1355000 dollars · those men Enes Kanter Freedom, former NBA center
Enes Kanter Freedom has spoken with 2 former NBA players, 3 G-League players, and 3 European players about the WNBA draft issue.
2 players · former NBA players3 players · G-League players3 players · European players Enes Kanter Freedom, former NBA center

See more of our coverage in your search results.

Enes Kanter Freedom is no longer just challenging the WNBA’s eligibility rules. He is now trying to turn that protest into a recruiting pitch.

The former NBA center claimed Tuesday that he had spoken to eight players about entering the 2027 WNBA Draft if the league does not change or further clarify its eligibility standards.

“Now, listen to me very carefully,” Kanter said in a video posted to X. “The NBA G League pays players $45,000 a year, while the WNBA top players earn $1.4 million.

Now, listen to me very carefully!

So far, I’ve spoken with:

2 Former NBA players
3 G-League players
3 European players

They have all said that if the @WNBA doesn’t change the rules, they’re ready to join the movement and are considering coming out as women and putting their… pic.twitter.com/UduKj1v46Y

“Those men could earn an extra $1,355,000 a year by just identifying as women,” Kanter said. “Rules are rules.”

“So far, I’ve spoken with: 2 Former NBA players, 3 G-League players, 3 European players,” Kanter said. “They have all said that if the WNBA doesn’t change the rules, they’re ready to join the movement and are considering coming out as women and putting their names in the 2027 WNBA Draft.”

Kanter has not identified any of the eight players, and none has publicly confirmed his account.
The former NBA big man previously announced his own intention to enter the 2027 WNBA Draft, with Royce White later making a similar declaration.

Kanter’s campaign is aimed at forcing the WNBA to spell out its eligibility standards more explicitly. The league has pushed back on the broader effort, describing arguments intended to mock or marginalize others as “bad-faith.”

For now, Kanter is trying to raise the stakes by suggesting there are both willing participants and a financial incentive for them to test the league’s rules.

This article was originally published by NY Post ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error