Index  ›  politics  ›  Euronews
politics · Euronews ↗

EU supports repatriation of unaccompanied migrant minors from Ceuta

Euronews Published Aug 18, 2026 Reviewed Aug 19, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
EU supports repatriation of unaccompanied migrant minors from Ceuta
Illegal migrants remaining in Ceuta were estimated at approximately 5,000, including 1,898 minors, by Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska.
5000 · illegal migrants in Ceuta1898 · unaccompanied minors in Ceuta Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska, Interior Minister
Around 72,000 people crossed into Ceuta on 30 July, according to Spanish estimates.
72000 · people crossing into Ceuta Spanish estimates

The European Commission confirmed on Tuesday that all people illegally remaining in Ceuta would be returned following the massive migrant influx that took place in late July.

"The priority is now for the Spanish and for the Moroccan authorities to maintain control of the situation and to ensure a swift return of all those who illegally remain in Ceuta", European Commission spokesperson Markus Lammert said Tuesday at a press briefing.

Lammert stressed that returns are covered by EU law, adding that they are regulated under "the return directive" and soon the "EU return regulation".

There are also provisions for the return of migrants illegally staying in the territory, including unaccompanied minors, he said.

Last week, Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska estimated that there were approximately 5,000 illegal migrants remaining in Ceuta, including 1,898 minors.

Spanish authorities have pledged to return all those illegally in Ceuta to their country of origin, saying that no one would be transferred to mainland Spain.

Earlier this month, Moroccan authorities had said they were ready to cooperate with Spain and other EU partners to facilitate the returns of unaccompanied migrants.

In addition, Lammert said the European Commission was banking on prevention and deterrence moving forward, working with platforms and fact-checkers "to counter criminal networks spreading disinformation" and "to strengthen the fight against migrant smuggling".

He said that several accounts linked to smuggling have already been closed.

Meanwhile, writing on X on Monday, European Commissioner Magnus Brunner said that Spain was doing "important and necessary work" securing the EU's shared external borders.

Brunner also reiterated the EU's readiness to deploy Frontex and Europol.

According to Spanish estimates, around 72,000 people crossed into Ceuta on 30 July, with almost all of them since returned to Morocco.

This article was originally published by Euronews ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error