Harry and Meghan ‘didn’t mention’ plan to return to UK during reunion visit
Harry and Meghan ‘didn’t mention’ their plan to return to the UK during their reunion with Charles and Camilla last month, according to reports.
In July, Harry is understood to have visited his father at his Highgrove House residence in Gloucestershire, after attending an Invictus one-year-to-go event in Birmingham.
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy
Accompanied by his children and Meghan, it marked the first time Lilibet and Archie had seen their grandfather since 2022.
It has been reported that the King was first made aware of the move on Sunday, just three days prior to the information becoming public knowledge.
Despite claims that the monarch has been blindsided, it is understood he welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family both in a private and personal capacity.
However, the move may come as a "shock" as just weeks ago sources close to Harry claimed he would be visiting Britain 'every few months' rather than residing in the UK.
The Sussexes are expected to make the move later this month – making their home in a non-royal residence outside of London – and have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.
It is understood there will be no change to Harry and Meghan’s role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.
Following the visit in July it was reported that the Duke wanted his father to stand alongside him at next Summer's Invictus Games.
A source told the Mirror: "Next year is a big deal for Harry. He is determined the Birmingham Games will be the best ever.
"It would mean the world to him to have his father there."
The lack of mentioning the decision to the King during the visit may suggest that the move comes as a last-minute decision for the pair.
Despite suggestion the King will be welcoming of Harry and his families return it has been indicated that his brother will not greet him with the same open arms.
William – a future king – is estranged from his brother after Harry levelled a barrage of accusations against the prince, Kate, the King and Queen Camilla in the years since the Megxit crisis of 2020.
Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt suggested the surprise return is likely to have left William “apoplectic”.
Mr Hunt said: “In the long term, the return of the Sussexes to the UK opens up the prospect of two rival courts, William’s and Harry’s.
“In the short term, Harry will be able to deepen his rapprochement with his father.
“And his presence back home will make it harder for his brother to duck a reconciliation.
“The surprise return of Harry and Meghan is likely to have left William apoplectic.”
