Index  ›  crime  ›  Times of India

Jharkhand protest: CID raids JSSC office as talks resume; 6 protesters on hunger strike - top developments

Times of India Published Aug 17, 2026 Reviewed Aug 17, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Jharkhand protest: CID raids JSSC office as talks resume; 6 protesters on hunger strike - top developments
The Jharkhand state probe agency has so far arrested 20 people in the case, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte.
20 people · arrests Jharkhand CID, state probe agency
The agitation has now entered its 24th consecutive day.
24 days · agitation duration
Six protesters continue to remain on hunger strike.
6 protesters · hunger strike participants
The Jharkhand government would cancel the 14th JPSC examination and backlog examinations.
14 exam · JPSC exam Jharkhand minister Dipika Pandey Singh, minister
The protest had earlier announced plans to gherao the chief minister's residence on August 20.
Student leader Devendra Mahto has now been on hunger strike for 15 days.
15 days · hunger strike duration

NEW DELHI: The Jharkhand recruitment exam row intensified on Monday as the state CID raided the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) office in Ranchi. Protesting job aspirants are also set to hold another round of talks with the state government. The agitation, led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, has now continued on for 24 days, with protesters demanding a CBI probe into alleged irregularities and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination.CID raids JSSC officeThe Jharkhand CID on Monday began raids at the JSSC office in Ranchi as part of its investigation into alleged irregularities in various recruitment examinations.CID ADG Manoj Kaushik told PTI that the searches were being conducted in connection with the allegations.

The state probe agency has so far arrested 20 people in the case, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte.Fresh talks with protesting studentsA delegation of protesting JPSC-JSSC candidates was scheduled to meet the state government's committee for another round of talks. This is the seventh round of discussions between the two sides, with earlier meetings failing to break the deadlock.The protesters have been demanding comprehensive reforms in the JPSC and JSSC recruitment systems, a CBI probe into alleged irregularities and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination.

Six protesters continue to remain on hunger strike.Government says 14th JPSC, backlog exams will be cancelledJharkhand minister Dipika Pandey Singh said the government would cancel the 14th JPSC examination and backlog examinations.She also said the government would write to the Enforcement Directorate to investigate alleged financial misappropriation, while the CID probe would be monitored by the judiciary.

Pandey said the government was committed to reforms aimed at safeguarding the future of students.Singh and Irfan Ansari said the government remained committed to addressing the students' demands through dialogue.Ansari accused the BJP of attempting to "hijack" the student movement, while Pandey alleged that the opposition was using the protesters to target the state government.

The BJP, meanwhile, has backed the students' demand for a CBI probe and criticised the government's handling of the agitation.Rahul Gandhi asks Soren to meet protestersCongress leader Rahul Gandhi has urged chief minister Hemant Soren to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and take steps to resolve their remaining concerns.In a letter dated August 14, Rahul described the students' protest as peaceful and their demands as legitimate.

He also backed the right to peaceful protest and said Congress stood with students raising concerns over paper leaks and irregularities in the education system.Congress is part of the ruling JMM-led alliance in Jharkhand.Also read: Rahul Gandhi writes to ally Hemant Soren over Jharkhand student protestsCongress backs students, urges quick resolutionJharkhand Congress in-charge K Raju said Rahul Gandhi and the party stood firmly with the protesting job aspirants and urged Soren to resolve the issue at the earliest.Raju said Congress leaders had met the chief minister and appealed to him to address the students' concerns.

He said the four-member committee appointed by Soren would hold another meeting with the protesters on Monday.Protesters remain firm on key demandsThe protesters have said they will not call off the agitation unless the government takes concrete action on their demands.The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has also called for broader changes in the recruitment system.

The protesters had earlier announced plans to gherao the chief minister's residence on August 20 and appealed to students from across Jharkhand to gather in Ranchi.The agitation intensified on August 10 when thousands of job aspirants marched towards the Jharkhand Assembly in Ranchi. Police used lathi-charge, tear gas and water cannons to disperse protesters after they breached barricades, according to reports.The confrontation further escalated the standoff between the student groups and the state government.The agitation has now entered its 24th consecutive day, with six protesters still on hunger strike.

The protesters have indicated that they will continue the stir unless the government's assurances translate into concrete action.Student leader Devendra Mahto, who has now been on hunger-strike for 15 days, says he hopes that fresh rounds of talks with the state government would bring positive results.With the latest talks taking place against the backdrop of the CID raids and growing political pressure, Monday's discussions could prove crucial in determining whether the prolonged standoff finally moves towards a resolution.Government announces recruitment reformsThe Jharkhand government has announced several measures aimed at making recruitment examinations more transparent and secure.

These include a time-bound annual examination calendar, technology-secured examinations, timely publication of answer keys and OMR sheets, and multi-level accountability in the recruitment process.The government has also launched a consultation seeking suggestions from students, teachers, educationists and parents on reforms to the examination system.Get the latest India News and Live updates.

Download the TOI app.

This article was originally published by Times of India ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error