Index  ›  business  ›  NY Post
business · NY Post ↗

Marc Jacobs sparks fury after admitting he would dress ‘trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione for murder trial

NY Post Published Aug 20, 2026 Reviewed Aug 21, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Marc Jacobs sparks fury after admitting he would dress ‘trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione for murder trial
Marc Jacobs, 63, made the bold admission during a lie detector test for a Vanity Fair interview that aired Tuesday.
63 years · Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs, fashion designer
Marc Jacobs said ‘Yes’ to styling 28‑year‑old Luigi Mangione.
28 years · Luigi Mangione Marc Jacobs, fashion designer
Marc Jacobs’ net worth is approximately $200 million.
about 200 million dollars · Marc Jacobs X-user, X user
Luigi Mangione pleaded guilty on Friday to federal stalking charges and admitted killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson on December 4, 2024.
Luigi Mangione, defendant
The state murder trial was scheduled to start on September 8, 2024, but faces indefinite postponement.
Article, report
Judge Gregory Carro canceled the state murder trial on Monday and set an October 9, 2024 deadline for Manhattan prosecutors to file their arguments.
Judge Gregory Carro, judge
A further hearing is slated for December 10, 2024, and Luigi Mangione is scheduled to be sentenced in his federal case on December 18, 2024.
Article, report

See more of our coverage in your search results.

Marc Jacobs sparked outrage after the fashion designer said he would style Luigi Mangione for his potential state trial in the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson.

Jacobs, 63, made the bold admission during a lie detector test for a Vanity Fair interview that aired Tuesday.

After the interviewer noted that the New York City-born designer’s outfits had been worn by celebrities including Lil’ Kim, Courtney Love, and Winona Ryder at their respective trials, Jacobs was asked if he would be open to styling 28-year-old Mangione.

“Yes,” said Jacobs, adding, “I think he looks pretty good the way he dresses,” in response to a follow-up question about how he would style the confessed killer.

Later in the polygraph test, Jacobs agreed with the statement that Mangione is a fashion “trendsetter” after learning that the retailer Nordstrom had sold out of burgundy sweaters following the defendant’s appearance in one at his 2024 arraignment.

His comments sparked a huge response online, with reactions ranging from ridicule to fury.

Marc Jacobs’ net worth is ~$200M and he’s out here stumping as a pretend anti capitalism, pro socialism, pro murder ding dong,” one X-user wrote.

“Hopefully Marc Jacobs will never have a loved one shot in the back by a deranged killer,” added another X user.

“Maybe Marc Jacobs of the global luxury brand Marc Jacobs hasn’t fully considered the idea of random people killing off wealthy businessmen,” wrote a third user.

Representatives for Mr. Jacobs did not respond immediately to requests for comment.

It comes after Mangione pleaded guilty Friday to federal stalking charges and admitted killing father-of-two healthcare CEO Thompson by shooting him outside a Manhattan hotel on Dec. 4, 2024.

The state murder trial faces an indefinite postponement ahead of its scheduled Sept. 8 start date, after Mangione’s legal team launched an attempt to have the case dismissed on grounds of double jeopardy.

The trial was canceled on Monday by Judge Gregory Carro, who set an Oct. 9 deadline for Manhattan prosecutors to file their arguments in the state case.

A further hearing is slated for Dec. 10, with Mangione scheduled to be sentenced in his federal case on Dec. 18, as prosecutors seek a life sentence in connection with the guilty plea.

This article was originally published by NY Post ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error