Index  ›  politics  ›  Express
politics · Express ↗

Prince Harry wants to ‘break free’ as there are ‘tensions’ with Meghan

Express Published Aug 20, 2026 Reviewed Aug 20, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Prince Harry wants to ‘break free’ as there are ‘tensions’ with Meghan
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit royal life six years ago.
6 years · time since quitting royal life
Paddy McNally passed away at the age of 88 in July 2026.
88 years · age at death2026 year · death year
Paddy McNally had a fortune of £600 million.
600 million pounds · fortune
Peter Sperling is 19th in line to the throne.
19 position · line of succession
The wedding of Harriet and Peter Sperling is the only major UK royal wedding of 2026.
1 wedding · major UK royal weddings
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, Prince Archie, and Princess Lilibet had a private family meeting with King Charles III and Queen Camilla on July 10, 2026.
2026 year · date of meeting
King Charles III saw Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet for the first time in over four years.
more than 4 years · time since last seeing children
Maggie's cancer support charity is marking its 30th anniversary.
30 years · anniversary
Queen Camilla has been president of Maggie's cancer support charity since 2008.
2008 year · start of presidency
King Charles returned to public-facing duties less than three months after Buckingham Palace announced his cancer diagnosis.
less than 3 months · time to return to duties
Team GB’s women’s hockey squad won gold 10 years ago at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
10 years · time since win2016 year · year of Olympics Duchess Sophie
King Charles and Prince William could face a potential £10 million bill.
10 million pounds · potential bill
Labour stated that landlords must ensure their properties have energy performance certificate (EPC) ratings of C or higher by 2030.
2030 year · deadline for EPC rating Labour
An investigation by The Guardian found that almost 90% of domestic properties in the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster and on the Sandringham estate have EPC ratings of D or lower.
about 90 percent · properties with D or lower EPC ratings The Guardian
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon gave birth to her first child in 1926.
1926 year · birth year of first child

Prince Harry reportedly wants to "break free" amid alleged tensions in his marriage to Meghan Markle. The Duke of Sussex wants to spend more time in the UK as the couple head in different directions, according to royal biographer Andrew Lownie. Harry and Meghan met with the King and Queen at Highgrove House with their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, last month. The duke is due to visit Britain again in September.

Lownie, who wrote Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York about Andrew Mountbatten Windsor and Sarah Ferguson, told News24 that Harry and Meghan are not "getting on as well as they used to" because the King's second son has realised he has been "played" by his wife. Lownie added that Meghan is "hopeful that she can make lots of money", but Harry has "lost interest in all of that and he wants to create a legacy".

"He wants to go back to his inheritance," the expert said.

KEEP UP WITH THE LATEST ROYAL NEWS BY FOLLOWING OUR LIVE BLOG BELOW...

Prince Harry previously said that concerns about safety have prevented him from returning to the UK with Meghan and their children.

The UK Government has said that its security system is 'rigorous and proportionate' as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan their move back to the country this month.

The BBC has reported that King Charles was unaware of the move before last weekend.

The outlet reported that he welcomes the opportunity to see more of the Sussex family in a private and personal capacity.

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy

The Sussexes visited King Charles at Highgrove in July.

It is being reported that the move was not discussed.

Prince Harry and Meghan are coming back to the UK after six years at the end of this month for "an extended period of time". The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have already secured a secret new UK home for their return to the UK, as the possible places they could pick have been revealed. Their two children, Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, will enrol at British schools with the couple finding themselves a new home in the UK.

Harry and Meghan turned their backs on King Charles by leaving the UK six years ago. The King is understood to have been told on Sunday that his son and daughter-in-law are returning to Britain. Prince William and Princess Catherine have also been informed of the move.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle plan to move back to the UK and will now raise their children in the Duke of Sussex's home country, it has been reported. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who quit royal life six years ago, will reportedly return to the UK at the end of August.

It has been reported that the couple's children Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, will be enrolled into a British school. It is also believed that the family will live in a private, non-royal residence. They are not expected to return to life as working royals.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has just shown that he only thinks of himself in a humiliating move for King Charles. Are we really surprised?

Over the last few days, reports have claimed that Andrew was invited to Balmoral Castle for the summer. Yes, that’s right. The monarch did what he thought was right and invited his disgraced brother to the family summer holiday. Even after all the scandals Andrew has brought to the monarchy’s doorstep, especially since the release of the Epstein Files, the King has shown yet again he has an incredible ability to forgive.

Princess Anne believes the rift between Prince William and Prince Harry needs to come to an end, a source claims. The unnamed source told the National Examiner that the Princess Royal, 76, thinks all those involved in the feud should take responsibility for it.

They said Anne's view is that they need to be brought into line and told, in an eight-word warning: "This nonsense has gone on far too long." King Charles's sister is also said to be willing to help William and Harry settle their differences. Anne reportedly feels the Prince of Wales and Duke of Sussex should treasure every moment they have with their father, who continues to be treated for an undisclosed form of cancer.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is reportedly searching for a property in France, it has been claimed. The disgraced former prince has allegedly been seen this summer in the South of France, specifically around Nice and Cannes.

This report comes months after Andrew was evicted from Royal Lodge in Windsor and moved into a smaller abode on King Charles’ private Sandringham Estate. Since moving into Marsh Farm, Andrew has been seen very few times as he continues to keep a low profile following scandals surrounding the Epstein Files and Andrew’s past friendship with the late convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew has always denied wrongdoing and accusations against him.

The Queen has opened up on how “difficult” it was to visit a cancer support charity just after learning her husband had been diagnosed with the disease in a new film released today. Describing the emotional visit to open Maggie’s cancer centre at the Royal Free in North London, Camilla said she was “longing” to tell someone that the King had cancer, but knew “it wasn’t the time”.

She visited the centre, which provides free support to cancer patients as well as their family and friends, on January 31, 2024 - five days before Buckingham Palace announced the King had been diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer and would start regular treatment. Reflecting on the King’s shock diagnosis with the organisation’s Chief Executive Dame Laura Lee DBE in a film to mark the charity’s 30th anniversary, the Queen said: “It made me realise even more, just how important these places were.

“It had never really come back to roost at home and suddenly your husband is diagnosed and you think goodness; I’ve been talking to all these people, now I’m the one with some relation who’s got to help to look after my poor husband and try to understand it all.”

Sarah Ferguson has been dealt a huge blow, according to one royal expert, who says she will not receive anything in the will of her ex-boyfriend, Paddy McNally. The latter, who Ferguson dated before marrying into the Royal Family, passed away at the age of 88 in July 2026. After her eviction from Royal Lodge earlier this year, it was reported that Ferguson was staying with McNally in his home in the Swiss town of Verbier.

Following his death, it was reported that the F1 legend could leave some of his £600million fortune to his ex-girlfriend, with whom he remained friends even after their romantic relationship ended. It was believed that the money left to Ferguson would be somewhat of a life raft for the former royal following her eviction from Royal Lodge, where she lived with Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor even after their divorce.

The royals have started their annual getaway at Balmoral and Harriet Sperling has joined for the first time as a member of the Royal Family. Harriet married Peter Sperling in June this year in the Cotswolds - the event was attended by senior royals.

Peter is Princess Anne's eldest son, son of the late Captain Mark Phillips, and 19th in line to the throne. Harriet is an NHS paediatric nurse who has worked at Evelina London Children's Hospital. Their wedding is the only major UK royal wedding of 2026, and it also marked the first royal church remarriage of two divorced people in the modern era.

Princess Catherine and Meghan Markle’s relationship appears to have been marked by tension for years, but one royal expert believes their difficult history may not necessarily prevent them from finding common ground in the future. Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and their children Archie and Lilibet had a private family meeting with King Charles III and Queen Camilla at Highgrove House in Gloucestershire on July 10, 2026. This marked the King's first time seeing the children in over four years.

With Harry and Meghan having recently met King Charles, in what could signal a tentative step toward healing the family rift, the royal expert believes Catherine’s long-standing trust concerns over Meghan could ultimately take an 'unexpected turn.' On a new Daily Expresso episode host JJ Anisiobi is joined by royal expert and former TalkTV presenter Daisy McAndrew for a deep-dive into the state of the Royal Family. The conversation turned to whether Kate and Meghan could eventually repair their relationship despite the events that followed Harry and Meghan’s decision to step away from royal duties.

Queen Camilla has opened up about the deeply personal reality of King Charles’s cancer diagnosis, revealing the determined attitude her husband adopted as he faced treatment. The Queen, 79, reflected on the King’s health in a new film released today to mark the 30th anniversary of Maggie’s, the cancer support charity of which she has been president since 2008.

Speaking to the organisation’s chief executive Dame Laura Lee, Camilla recalled the difficult days immediately after Charles was diagnosed, when the news remained a closely guarded secret from the public. She also revealed how the King, 77, responded to the enormous upheaval, summing up his approach with the blunt three-word declaration: “Nothing stopped him.”

Despite continuing to receive treatment, Charles returned to public-facing duties less than three months after Buckingham Palace announced his diagnosis and has since undertaken a packed programme of engagements.

Duchess Sophie revealed the late Queen Elizabeth’s surprised reaction during a nerve-racking penalty shootout when Team GB’s women’s hockey squad won gold 10 years ago at the 2016 Rio Olympics. The Duchess of Edinburgh appeared in a special BBC Radio 5 Live programme celebrating a decade since the triumph. Sophie shared her memories of when Elizabeth II and Prince Philip tuned in at Balmoral to watch the dramatic final.

Prince Edward’s wife described how the Queen had to leave the room because of the tension. She said: “She couldn’t cope with pressure. She had to take herself away again.”

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was allegedly spotted in the South of France this summer and is said to be looking for a property in the region, according to new reports. Writing in his latest Substack post, author Andrew Lownie claims that the disgraced former Duke of York - who has remained under investigation since his arrest in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office - has retained his passport and continues to travel abroad.

Mr Lownie, author of the bombshell book Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York, adds that His Majesty is aware of this foreign travel; however, there is no suggestion of wrongdoing, as those released under investigation without conditions are legally permitted to travel.

Good Afternoon. Royal reporter Jasmine Carey here and I will be bringing you the latest royal news today.

You can contact me at [email protected].

King Charles and Prince William could be faced with a potential £10million bill after the Government’s latest announcement.

Labour said that landlords will be required to ensure their properties have energy performance certificate (EPC) ratings of C or higher by 2030 – up from the current requirement of an E.

According to an investigation by The Guardian, almost 90% of domestic properties in the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster and on the Sandringham estate have EPC ratings of D or lower.

The royals have started their annual getaway at Balmoral, and Harriet Phillips has joined for the first time as a member of the Royal Family.

Harriet married Peter Sperling in June this year in the Cotswolds - the event was attended by senior royals.

Peter is Princess Anne's eldest son, son of the late Captain Mark Phillips, and 19th in line to the throne.

Duchess Sophie revealed the late Queen Elizabeth’s surprised reaction during a nerve-racking penalty shootout when Team GB’s women’s hockey squad won gold 10 years ago at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

The Duchess of Edinburgh appeared in a special BBC Radio 5 Live programme celebrating a decade since the triumph.

Sophie shared her memories of when Elizabeth II and Prince Philip tuned in at Balmoral to watch the dramatic final.

A royal commentator has said that Prince Harry’s willingness to return to the UK more often to support his charities is part of a “plot” to “revive the ailing Brand Sussex”.

The Duke of Sussex returned to Britain last July to attend a series of engagements and mark the one-year-to-go milestone for the Invictus Games in Birmingham.

He also met with his father alongside his two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet and his wife, Meghan Markle. Following his trip, sources claimed that Harry was pleased and wanted to make further visits to his home country. But a royal commentator questioned his motive and said it could be a plan to boost his image.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was allegedly spotted in the South of France this summer and is reportedly looking for a property in the region, according to new reports.

Writing in his latest Substack post, author Andrew Lownie claims that the disgraced former Duke of York - who has remained under investigation since his arrest in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office - has retained his passport and continues to travel abroad.

Queen Elizabeth II was a much-loved member of the Royal Family, and plenty of her relatives are named after her.

The late Queen was named after her mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who was the Duchess of York when she gave birth to her first child in 1926.

The Queen's middle names were Alexandra (her great-grandmother and wife of King Edward VII) and Mary (her grandmother and wife of King George V).

Now, her legacy lives on through her name, which many royals have chosen to incorporate into their children's names.

Prince Harry has appeared in a new video for one of his beloved UK charities.

The Duke of Sussex featured in a new clip shared by Scotty’s Little Soldiers.

COMMENT: "Meghan Markle should return to the UK next month with her husband, Prince Harry. It would be the perfect opportunity to prove herself.

"Over the last six years, since quitting royal duty, Meghan and Harry have been vocal in their criticisms about royal life."

The Queen has opened up on how “difficult” it was to visit a cancer support charity just after learning her husband had been diagnosed with the disease in a new film released today.

Describing the emotional visit to open Maggie’s cancer centre at the Royal Free in North London, Camilla said she was “longing” to tell someone that the King had cancer, but knew “it wasn’t the time”.

Meghan Markle "can't stomach" the idea that only Prince Harry should apologise to Prince William to bring an end to the brothers' rift, reports claim.

An insider claims that the Prince of Wales is seen as an obstacle to the Duke of Sussex being welcomed back into the royal fold.

Queen Camilla has opened up about the deeply personal reality of King Charles’s cancer diagnosis, revealing the determined attitude her husband adopted as he faced treatment.

The Queen, 79, reflected on the King’s health in a new film released today to mark the 30th anniversary of Maggie’s, the cancer support charity of which she has been president since 2008.

Keep up to date with all the latest regarding the Firm throughout the day.

This article was originally published by Express ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error