Index  ›  politics  ›  Union Press
politics · Union Press ↗

Spain blames criminal mafias after 72,000 migrants breach Ceuta border — UnionPress

Union Press Published Aug 4, 2026 Reviewed Aug 18, 2026 ✓ Reviewed by citations.press editors
Spain blames criminal mafias after 72,000 migrants breach Ceuta border — UnionPress
Spain says that about 70,000 of the roughly 72,000 people who entered the Spanish enclave of Ceuta last week have already been returned to Morocco.
about 72000 people · entrantsabout 70000 people · returned Fernando Grande-Marlaska, Interior Minister
EU Migration Commissioner Magnus Brunner said that the number of irregular migrants entering the EU this year stood at just over 49,000.
more than 49000 people · irregular migrants Magnus Brunner, EU Migration Commissioner
Frontex deployed more than 30 officers to the Ceuta enclave.
more than 30 officers · deployed officers Frontex, EU border‑guard agency

Spain says most of the migrants were returned to Morocco, while EU ministers debate Schengen sanctions and financial aid.

Spain has placed the blame for last week's mass crossing at the Ceuta frontier on organised smuggling networks, insisting that the overwhelming majority of the roughly 72,000 people who entered the Spanish enclave have already been sent back to Morocco.

Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska told reporters after an emergency meeting of EU home‑affairs ministers on 4 August that about 70,000 of those who arrived on Thursday and Friday have been returned. He added that the remaining migrants are undergoing legal assessment and that anyone without a right to stay will be expelled in line with Spanish and international law.

The sudden surge triggered a diplomatic row within the bloc. Italy, Finland and Denmark called for Spain's Schengen membership to be suspended, while France introduced extra checks on its land border with Spain. In Rome, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni announced a one‑month re‑introduction of border controls for travellers from Spain.

EU Migration Commissioner Magnus Brunner described the incident as a "test of our European resilience" and said the emergency ministers' video conference was "useful to clarify the facts on the ground". He claimed the situation was quickly brought back under control and that the Schengen area remained secure.

Nevertheless, a joint letter signed by 22 of the 27 EU states urged tighter external‑border measures, accusing Madrid of lax policing. The letter reflects growing unease among northern European capitals about the capacity of southern states to manage irregular flows.

Brunner pointed to official statistics that show a sharp decline in illegal arrivals across the EU. He said the number of irregular migrants entering the bloc this year stood at just over 49,000, roughly the total that reached the Greek islands in a single week in 2015. Germany, for instance, has seen a drop of more than a third, while Sweden recorded its lowest figures in four decades.

"By any measure, Europe has not had this much control over illegal migration in a decade," the commissioner said, adding that the Ceuta episode illustrates how dramatic images can outweigh favourable statistics.

In June, the EU introduced stricter rules on detention and deportation of rejected asylum seekers, granting police broader powers to arrest and hold migrants. The new regime is intended to prevent exactly the kind of mass breach seen in Ceuta.

The European Commission has already released emergency funding to help Spain cope with the surge. Frontex, the EU border‑guard agency, has deployed more than 30 officers to the enclave, and officials from Europol and the European Asylum Support Office are on standby to assist with investigations and processing.

Spanish authorities have also called on Rabat to launch an inquiry into the events that precipitated the crossing. Madrid argues that criminal smuggling groups exploited a temporary lapse in border surveillance, while Moroccan officials have yet to comment publicly.

Morocco has positioned itself as the EU's most reliable partner in North Africa, especially on migration management. Brunner hinted that the recent episode could affect ongoing negotiations for a strategic partnership agreement, noting that migration is a core element of the talks.

"We need to use our leverage … we are currently in the process of negotiating a strategic partnership agreement with Morocco… and migration is one of the core elements of this agreement," he said, suggesting that future assistance may be conditioned on tighter cooperation.

The Ceuta crisis is the most serious challenge to Spain's African enclaves since the 2021 incident at the same frontier. It has revived debate across Europe about the balance between humanitarian obligations and border security, and about the distribution of responsibility among member states.

Trade unions in Spain have called for a review of the asylum system, warning that the rapid return of migrants could strain relations with NGOs that provide legal aid. They argue that a purely security‑focused response risks overlooking the root causes of irregular migration, such as poverty and conflict in the Sahel and the Horn of Africa.

Meanwhile, business groups stress that prolonged border checks could disrupt cross‑border trade, particularly in the automotive and agricultural sectors that rely on smooth movement of goods between Spain and France.

As the EU continues to grapple with the fallout, the next steps will likely involve a mix of legal proceedings for the remaining migrants, intensified cooperation with Moroccan authorities, and a possible reassessment of Schengen rules for Spain. The episode underscores how a single flashpoint at an external frontier can reverberate through the whole of Europe, testing both solidarity and the capacity of the bloc's migration framework.

This article was originally published by Union Press ↗. citations.press indexes the source-backed facts above and links to the original. Something wrong? Corrections policy · Report an error